Tuesday 11 December 2012

Lazy Otter to Bottisham

Yesterday, I took a spin along the Old West River into the River Cam at Popes Corner. The water level was a bit higher than usual but not a problem.


Once on the Cam, the cold north wind was blowing quite strongly so this should have given me a little push as I headed south but this was counter-balanced by the strong current. Also, while I would not normally complain about the sun but it was very bright and shining directly into my eyes and relecting off the water and shiny roof. As a result of all this, the fairly short journey was not all that pleasant. Anyway, I got to Bottisham Lock (at Waterbeach) and turned around. It would have been nice to go further - maybe into Cambridge but since the Cam Conservators and Environment Agency decided to impose a new registration fee to do this (+£80 for me), I decided to vote with my rudder. That will have them quaking in their offices!

On the way back down the Cam the sun was starting to get quite low behind me and some ominous looking clouds were building up in front. Time to look for a mooring.


I went back to the Five Miles from Anywhere Pub at Upware and moored at the little EA mooring just to the south. I spent a quiet evening watching telly with a hot pasty (heated on the top of the stove) and a bottle of white - very relaxing.

When I woke up this morning, I fired up the Webasto central heating but it conked out again just when I needed it most. Anyway, the stove was still alight so I got up and stoked it. After breakfast, the morning was so beautiful, I decided to move on to Ely.



A cold start. When I pushed off, I found that someone had let some water out of the river without telling me (thanks EA) so I was slightly stuck in the mud. I managed to push the bow out into the main stream and, with a few of my brake horses powering from the rear, I broke free and headed north.

Apart from the cold, the morning was perfect - bright, clear sky; no wind; smooth water; no one else around; the boat gliding through the water - fantastic.


I spent a couple of hours in the town and walked around the cathedral. It looks particularly fine from the west in the sun.



By the way, I poked my head in the front door with the intention of warming up my fingers and toes on one of their their massive Victorian boilers and saw that they now charge an entrance fee of £7.50. Blimey I thought, I'll have to find somewhere else to warm my extremities in future!

After a slap up sandwich and a coffee in the boat, I headed home and, as I left Ely, a mist started to form and this just got thicker and thicker.




By the time I turned into the Old West River, it was full blown fog and all I could see was each river bank and a distance of about 50m in front. So, it was good time to leave the Ouse to its own devices.

BFN

No comments: