Sunday 21 April 2013

Windy Wicken

Thursday, 18 April 2013

This morning, as I drove to Lazy Otter, I followed a white van towards Soham. Nothing odd there I hear you say but, as we got near the large Turners warehouses, a fast food box flew out of his passenger’s window on to the verge. ‘That probably didn’t happen by itself’, I mused, ‘I guess some thoughtless person may have thrown it out on purpose.’ So I made a quick note of the van number and later reported him to the Council. He might think twice next time after having to pay a £80 fixed penalty fine. Ha!

The next bit of excitement happened as I went through Wicken. The wind was increasing all the time but I had no idea it was strong enough to bring down an overhead cable near a farm, until I ploughed into it. As I hit the brakes (too late), it twanged over the windscreen and shot over the roof-rack. How it and the roof-rack managed to stay in one piece I don’t know. If it had snapped, I guess it could have been more of a problem. As I shuddered to a halt, it was left hanging only 3 feet off the road. Cars could sneak past but lorries couldn’t. I spent a few minutes waving a few cars down and then left the local farmer to take charge. As I went on I flagged some lorries down and warned them of the problem. Some turned around, other continued.

As I got to Lazy Otter, I found Skylark where I’d left her on the river; the strong wind pushing her hard against the bank.
 
The starboard side was in the mud and there was no point even trying to free her while the wind was blowing so hard. So, I went into Ely (to report the white van driver) and picked up some food.

In the afternoon I walked down the river. I would call it bracing walking in a easterly direction, nearly gale force facing the west. Over towards Upware, the wind was whipping up the light sandy soil creating a low cloud of brown fog. I’d seen more of this to the west of Bury St Edmunds too. I understand this is called the Fen Blow and I’m told this is quite an interesting feature of this part of the world. The mid west of America, parts of the Russian Steppes and the Sahara Desert have similar looking sand storms but they are not half as interesting as the Fen Blow. Apparently, the local Fen Folk say, ‘It’s loike drivin’ through Maarmoite’. Perhaps not the best saying in the world but you get the drift.
I wonder what they say about rainbows?
 
I plan to push off the mudbank tomorrow when the wind turns to the predicted light northerly.

No comments: