Saturday 27 April 2013

St Ives to Ely


Friday, 26 April 2013
As the weather forecast is for some colder temperatures – they say 10-13 degrees by day and maybe frost overnight – I decided to leave.

At 9.00am the St Ives lock was in my favour so I steamed right in and was out within about 15 minutes.


The trip down to Brownshill Staunch was uneventful, but pleasant with a light wind and some sunshine. Brownshill was against me so it took a little longer to get through but, before I left, I rang ahead to the Hermitage Lock Keeper to find out if he could put the lock to my favour, which he did. Full marks!

I reached the quiet Aldreth High Bridge GOBA mooring for lunch.
 
By the time I was tucking into my slap-up sandwich and strong coffee the wind had picked up and it started to hail. Talk about changable! The wind, now coming from the west, was making the river choppy. I decided to hunker down for while as the forecast said it would improve as the day wore on. We’ll see.
I watched the 1.00pm BBC news. They were interviewing a young American girl who had lost the lower part of her leg in the Boston Marathon Bombing a couple of weeks ago. She was already up and walking, and talking about training for another marathon. Incredible determination and commitment. An inspiration to everyone. If only extremists could realise that terror campaigns will never achieve their aims – whatever they are.

After lunch, the weather improved so I went on.
 
Just as I saw the traffic on the A10 near Lazy Otter, I rang home to say, unless I was needed, I would continue down the river to Ely. Then as I reached Stretham Old Engine House, a massive dark cloud brewed up so I pulled over while it blew over. I put on a real brew and watched a bit of Ice Cold in Alex.
Following the shower complete with a double rainbow, I continued to Ely in very nice sunshine. More Herons and a couple of Kingfishers.

I arrived at 6.15pm and moored in the last sunny position on the riverside. Over 6 hours travelling today so I closed the boat down and prepared for a quiet evening in.
 
On the news, I was just in time to hear that Max Clifford has been arrested for a number of sexual offences over a period of about 20 years. There was no mention of Rolf Harris. He strongly denies ther charges.
I ended the day thinking, while lots of people are getting their comeuppance for various acts of greed and indecency, I was pleased to rescue a nice black bucket from the Ouse. In the words of that great presenter of Norfolk Radio, Alan Partridge, ‘Back of the Net!’

No comments: