Friday 5 April 2013

It's British Summer Time!

It’s 5.00pm on Wednesday, 3 April 2013 and I’ve just got back from a very bracing walk along a very windy riverbank. Still no sign of the Barn Owl or those fighting Kingfishers. Prior to that I pottered about on board Skylark, adjusted the clocks for British Summer Time (ha ha), replaced the fire cement around the stove chimney joint, lit the fire, swept out more dust, tweeked the ropes for the high wind and had lunch.

I had hoped to take Skylark for a spin down to Ely or even up to St Ives but the wind was far too strong for a safe solo trip. It’s still gusting 20 – 30 mph which would cause me all sort of problems manouvering in and out of locks and jetties. So, I’m sitting tight tonight. Tomorrow, I plan to go into Cambridge by Landy and visit the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Sounds like a bundle of fun, doesn’t it? Apparently it’s one of about ten owned by Cambridge University (Google it and you will see). I’ve already seen the Polar Museum, the Fitzwilliam (Fitzbillies to the locals), the Zoology Museum and the Sedgewick Earth Science Museum. It’s now the turn of the MAA. Kettles Yard, a contemporary art exhibition, is partly closed during refurbishment, so that will have to wait for my patronage.
Peeping outside, it’s blowing a northeasterly gale up the river. It’s starting to look like the high seas. This photo doesn't really show how windy it was! OK, high seas it was not, but it was too windy f(and cold) or me to go out alone.


I’ll have to batton down my hatches, shiver my timbers and break out the grog. That's narrowboat talk for shutting the door, stoking the fire and opening a bottle of Pinot Grigio.  

No comments: