Friday 30 November 2012

A break in the weather

Finding a couple of clear days between two rainy periods is all I need to take me back to the boat. Yesterday I pushed off at 10.00 am along a very peaceful Old West River.


The water level was much lower than my last outing - about 8" I guessed. Many of riverside fields were now above water and the banks had a clear edge. It's also so much better now that the emergent water plants have died back. I arrived at Ely and took up a mooring near the Maltings, as usual. Apart from a few 'over-stayers', it's quiet, out of season and midweek so there's no jostling for moorings.


I spend a quiet day mooching about the town followed by a quiet evening on board. Next morning, as predicted, the weather turns cold and I wake up to find a very clear morning and Skylark's roof glistening with frost. I'm pleased the stove pushes out the heat but a little disappointed the central heater boiler has gone on the blink. I will phone Mick when I get home.



As the river is so peaceful I take time to return to Lazy Otter. 

There's no one else moving about and even the Herons are either too cold, too hungry or just can't be bothered to fly off as I pass them. There's also more Swans about. I wonder where they have been for the last few weeks?

Being on my own I need to assess how much wind there will be as I moor the boat. As I have said before, any wind speed above 5 mph and in any direction other than north or south can be a problem when you're by yourself. Fortunately  this morning there was virtually no wind as I approached the mooring.



So, there we have it. Another peaceful, uneventful trip - it doesn't get much better than this.

BFN

No comments: