Wednesday 14 November 2012

Recharging my batteries...

Yesterday, I took advantage of another day of fair weather. My time away also had to fit in with other commitments so this trip would be limited to a day and night. I took a trip up to Ely and I soon found the local wildlife was taking advantage of the warm weather too - ducks, moorhens, swans, coots, grebes, herons and kingfishers were all out and about.

Apart from a few anglers and liveaboards, there were few people about on the river. The town itself was buzzing though.

While I was strolling through the town, I took time to look at some of the details...look at the detail on this place!

 
The little sign below told the local fire brigade if you had taken out fire insurance.This one looks like an early Sun Alliance brand but I might be wrong.

 
Do you know what the sign below denotes? Maybe the house was built by someone called Stephen (ha ha)? More likely, being located on a house next to the river, it marks the south facing side of the street. You can just imagine a boater falling out of a local pub and, before he sets sail, he takes a look at the sign - maybe not!
 
 
This tall and very long narrow house had a specific use. Guess what?
 
 
 
If you said somewhere to make stilts, go to the back of the class. The answer... 
 
 
This morning, I needed to leave quite early in order to pick up my ballot box - yes, I am one those official looking people who will be helping you to cast your vote for a new Police and Crime Commisioner. It's good that we have a democratic right to vote in someone to oversee our Police. I don't remember being asked if I wanted a PCC but in time, I'm sure we'll find it's much cheaper to have only one person per county representing everybody rather than a whole committee.
 
My short trip back to Lazy Otter this morning confirmed the weather bods had got the forecast right again, bless them.
 
 
BFN
 
 
 

No comments: