Wednesday 4 January 2012

Painting

4 January 2012. After a short visit to B&Q in Bury St Edmunds, to buy a pot of white undercoat, I arrived at Mick and Gena's at 9.30am. Over coffee, I showed them the revised contract and they agreed with the changes I had made. Mick and I signed and dated it. I then signed over a cheque for the opening deposit in accordance with the contract. From that point, the boat became mine. Our relationship changed from prospective purchaser and vendor to new owner and boat builder. The challenge is now to complete Skylark for the given price and within the timescale. Our continuing discussions suggested everything is on course for completion on 9 April 2012.


Once that was all sorted, Mick and I went out to Skylark. Mick showed me everything he had done to build the wiring loom. 12v and 240v wires were neatly strung along the starboard gunwales with branches to where the light fittings, switches and sockets will go. We agreed that we would leave the final decision on kitchen layout until the last possible moment so two sets of wires to the cooker and firdge were provided; one on each side. He then went on to complete the wiring for the two navigation lights, horn and spot light. The work Mick is doing is highly skilled but not complicated once its been explained so I have been able to follow what he's doing. I am pleased to see his work is top notch and will form the basis of a very sound and attractive boat.


I spent the rest of the day painting the tongue and groove ceiling and walls. They already had a thin coat of primer but I added a further coat of primer and undercoat, completing just over 3/4 by 3.30pm. This needs completing and probably a further coat to prepare it for the topcoat so I will return later in the week.


I got home by about 4.30pm and climbed into a hot shower; arms, shoulders, back and legs aching from a hard day of decorating. Well, I'm not used to all this manual work!

No comments: