Saturday 23 February 2013

Another cold, windy dull day - YUK!

Friday, 22 February 2013.

I drove into St Ives, about 15 miles to the west, and had a look around the market and in the antique centres and charity shops. Before I left, I picked up some grub from the very busy Waitrose and wondered why it is that whenever I want to buy a few provisions, everyone else decides to shuffle into the same shop to buy their daily bread, vimto and bio-yogurt?

I got back to Skylark for lunch to find the fire still warm from the night before so I tickled it back to life and settled down to a cheese bagette and coffee while I watched the news.

Three bungling terrorists have been convicted of planning 8 suicide attacks. I wondered if they thought how they would carry out the last 5 attacks.

Apparently, their planning was flawed by their inept communications. They had an email address something like terrorsts’r’us. com and they had Facebook and Twitter accounts bragging what they were planning to do. The Police picked up on this so had bugged their mobile phones, cars and flats so knew everything they were planning do.  Some people think their ineptness was just a cover for something much bigger going on. Who knows? Anyway, full marks to the Security Forces – keep up the good work.

With a couple hours of daylight left, I took a walk down the river and back. Still a bit cold and windy. No sign of the Barn Owl today - I guess he or she is somewhere else trying to put on weight ready to mate in the spring.
I then had a quiet evening in the boat watching TV. It was wall to wall adverts and trailers interrupted by occasional 10 minute segments about real life cops and robbers in Reading followed by Cops in Copters, a very young-looking Bergerac, comedy quiz shows for comedians to get seen on TV, people proving that most Britains have absolutely no tallent, cute animals doing the most amazing things like standing on their hind legs and news about inept bombers and pathetic politicians (or was it the other way round?).
I then turned into Mr Grumpy...
Am I the only person who has noticed there are more adverts than programmes on TV? And why are they so loud?
Why are there so many adverts for life insurance, equity release and funeral plans between 3.00 pm and 5.00pm?
Why are there so many adverts for face creams, anti-aging lotions and Femi-thingys between Graham Norton's segments?
Why do so many TV cameramen find it difficult to keep their cameras in focus?Do they think it's arty and are trying to impress the producers or are they just drunk?
Why are there so many repeats (especially on Dave)?
Why have those really interesting gardening and home decorating programmes with Alan Tithead been replaced with cooking competitions between lesser-known celebrities?
And why are my expectations of TV entertainment higher than the real thing?
I then turned into My Sleepy and shan't wake up until I have an answer.

No comments: